Last night I was talking with one of my Army Officers about life’s choices. We were both over 35 and hence have a little life experience. During the conservation we both reflected on our childhood and out 20s. It was interesting how the decisions we make years ago lead us to where we are today. It raised some questions for me:
- What decisions have I made in the past that have impacted on my life?
- Which of these decisions seemed small at time?
- What are some of the unpleasant consequences of these decisions?
- What are some of the surprising consequences of these decisions?
- What have been some of the awesome consequences of these decisions?
When I look back on my life, I can honestly say that I am not where I thought I would be or planned to be when I was 20. That said I can say that I am very happy with the journey my life has taken and the things that I have experienced. In fact I would go as far as to say I am grateful for the life I have led. In reflection even the hard times have taught me lessons and made me a better person.
While looking back it is easy to ask the question….. What if? What if I had……. However each decision we have made is done. We cannot go back into our past and change our decisions. There is no point beating yourself up over the past decisions. Yes, learn from your past decisions, but do not get down on yourself with regret.
Where we are at today is due to what decisions we have made in the past, the focus we have had and allowing for the time for decisions to take effect in our lives. Though we cannot change the past decisions we made, the decisions we make today will impact on our future. This gives us some control of our future.
Today = Past Decisions + Past Focus + Time
Future = Today’s Decisions + Today’s Focus + Time
So about choices:
- Reflect back on you past choices
- What decisions are you grateful for?
- What lessons have you learnt from your previous decisions?
- What decisions are you going to make today?
Posted on Wednesday, 08 Aug 2012, in Army, Business, Family, Personal and tagged Army, Business, Choices, Decide, Decision making, Decisions, Emotion, Experience, Future, Leadership, Learning, Lessons Learnt, Life, Life Experience, Management, Past, People, Reflection, Regret, Regrets, What if?. Bookmark the permalink. 19 Comments.